Want to add a link on Instagram? You’re not the only one! Adding a link to Instagram can be incredibly helpful for your brand or business, and it’s no wonder that it’s one of the most common questions about Instagram functionality.
Instagram, best known for its striking images and videos in posts, interactive Instagram stories, and community of engaged users, is also becoming an even stronger contender for marketing and revenue generation.
While most of the magic happens directly within Instagram itself these days, that doesn’t mean you can’t successfully funnel traffic from the platform to your external website, e-store, blog, etc.
If you’re looking to get more people viewing your content outside of Instagram, your options are unfortunately a bit limited, which is something that Instagram has done perhaps on purpose.
Instagram differs from other social media giants like Facebook, LinkedIn, YouTube, and Twitter in the sense that you aren’t able to post links to your landing and/or product pages directly in your posts. There are no clickable links available in your Instagram caption area at all.
Thus the question remains: how can you get people to visit your website?
It can be a bit frustrating when you really want to get people to your content from within your post, but there are a couple of ways that you can get people to your external link, and our guide on how to post a link on Instagram will give you all the deets that you need!
Let’s get started.
Posting a Link on Instagram
While you won’t be able to post a clickable link in your caption on Instagram posts, you could still post the link anyway; if it’s simple enough, people may just open their browser and navigate to it.
Even still, it may be unlikely, and even more unlikely if the link is super complicated or includes symbols and other characters. It’s best to keep your Instagram content user-friendly and avoid that.
We’ve got 6 different ways on how to post a link on Instagram so that you can make sure your users have access to the content they need and also keep generating traffic as much as possible to your external sites and products.
It’s important to have a solid IG strategy that includes links in a seamless way, so let’s get moving.
1. Instagram Link in Bio
The first and arguably most important place to put a link on your Instagram is in your bio. It’s the only place that the platform allows a clickable link, with some exceptions that we’ll mention below.
You can only put one link in your Instagram bio, so the first thing you should do is decide which is the right link to place there. You can do this by considering what you want to achieve through your Instagram strategy.
For example, if you want people to visit your website, you can simply put the URL there. If you have a particular product or service page you want them to navigate to, you can put that one there.
Alternatively, if you want to spice it up a bit or have additional links you want to include, consider some of the following tactics:
- Ensure that you have your Instagram profile set to business or professional, and you can take advantage of different call to action buttons that include things like call, email, directions, book, etc. That way you can link out to your contact information without having to waste the link space.
- Adjust your Instagram link with each post. If your posts dictate what link you need in your bio, you can change it every time you create a new campaign or want your viewers to visit a different link. This can be a bit tiring on your end, and can also mean that if a user sees a previous post that references a different link in your bio, they may not find what they’re looking for. You’ll have to really stay on top of your content and campaigns if you’re going to use this strategy.
- Even better, you can entrust the help of a link in bio tool such as linktr.ee or linkin.bio to create a sort of directory in your IG bio. This will allow you to post only one link in your bio, and when users click it, you can give them different links to choose from so that they can find any different content or external sites that they need. You can also do this to link out to other social media networks right there on your Instagram page. This is by far the most popular option if you have a lot of different places your followers might need to go.
2. Shoppable Posts for Product Links
If your main goal is to have people link out to your online store to buy products, Instagram has made your life a lot easier with the shoppable post feature.
You can now include links to the products that you feature in your content and facilitate the shopping experience right there on Instagram.
This is a huge game changer for those that are looking to amp up their marketing efforts and revenue generation on Instagram. It’s much more convenient and gives people a one-stop shop for all of their favorite products.
Not only that, you can include very natural and agreeable content in your signature brand image while still advertising your products and giving people the chance to buy.
That means you don’t have to come off as salesy and can post whatever type of content aligns with your aesthetic, including user-generated content.
These are some of the eligibility requirements for Instagram shoppable posts:
- You have to be based in one of the countries that allow IG shoppable links
- You need an Instagram business profile
- Your Instagram app has to be up to date
- You must sell physical products that abide by the Instagram merchant agreement
- You’ll have to create a Facebook product catalog in order to link your Instagram content to shoppable links.
It may seem daunting at first, but ultimately it’s a pretty straightforward process. Once you get the hang of it, you can turn your regular Instagram posts into shoppable content that will begin to generate income and provide a streamlined user experience from start to finish.
If you sell physical products, don’t wait another minute! Get your Instagram content shoppable if you want to know how to post a link on Instagram easily.
3. Clickable Link in Instagram Stories: Swipe Up
Instagram stories also aren’t to be ignored, considering it’s one of the most popular features on the platform and has millions of users checking them out every day — 400 million, to be precise.
For this reason, it’s a great option if you really want to get your content out to more of your target audience and can be a good starting point if you want to know how to post a link on Instagram.
Instagram stories doesn’t allow any user to post a link in their stories, though. This feature, also called the Swipe Up feature, is only available to select IG users. It used to be available only to verified accounts, but it’s loosened up a bit.
Now, if you have at least 10k followers on your business account, you can take advantage of the swipe up feature. This is very simple and you can find the option within the IG story poster.
You can either create a new Instagram story using the camera function, or you can upload your own image/video. Once that’s done, you’ll click on the chain icon and add your link directly to the story.
When you post your content, at the bottom of the story, it will have an arrow and say Swipe Up so that your users can visit the link directly from within Instagram. This is great for ads, campaigns, blogs, music, stores, and more.
Instagram stories are known to be more active than posts on some occasions, and you can add graphics and GIFs that direct your story viewers to your swipe up link. This can generate a lot of interest in whatever link you’re sending your viewers to, and they’ll be able to interact right then and there.
If you don’t have the swipe up feature just yet, don’t worry. There are still some other strategies that you can use in Instagram stories to get people directed to your link, and we’re going to discuss them more in the following sections.
4. Tag Yourself In Your Instagram Stories
Whether you have enough followers to use swipe up or you’re still working on building your audience, you can use this next strategy to help boost your visibility and get people to your Instagram links.
If you want to know how to post a link on Instagram stories without swipe up, this is your lucky day! You can use the hack of tagging or mentioning yourself in your story in order to direct people to your profile.
You can click the Aa icon as you create your story and then use the @ symbol to mention your own account by typing @yourusername. This will allow your story to be clickable and direct users right back to your profile page.
Since you’ll have the link in your bio, this is an easy way for users to find the link without having to go through a bunch of steps to get to it.
It’s not as attractive as using the swipe up feature, but it’s a great way to optimize your story and work around any limitations you may have.
You can use IG stories to boost awareness about your external site, promote products and services, and let people know to visit your profile to check out the link.
People will still be able to view the link from directly within Instagram, boosting the chances that they’re actually going to check out your external site.
5. Use Instagram Stories Ads
Another very easy way to post a link on Instagram is to use Instagram story ads. This option, of course, is paid, but if you’re tired of dealing with hacks or shortcuts for your Instagram story link options, you can use Instagram advertising and have easy access to links as well as to more reach.
In order to do this, you should select Traffic as your main goal when building your content and Instagram ads.
When you choose this option, you’ll be sure that you get the swipe up feature. These are a few tips in order to do this:
- Ensure your sites are optimized for mobile use. People don’t want to have to deal with a poor user experience on mobile, and anyone who views your IG links are going to be using their mobile. It should look optimized for mobile use as well as bigger devices. This is called a responsive site.
- Follow the analytics. Always track your clicks and use UTM codes to track those links that you put in your Instagram stories. You want to know which of your campaigns are delivering the best results so that you can continue to replicate these results.
- Point all people to the link. You should use as many strategies as you can — graphics, drawings, arros, GIFs, etc. so that people will be likely to check out your swipe up feature. This is important to make sure people don’t miss the link or wonder where to click.
Remember, you’re paying for Instagram story ads, so it’s important to optimize your strategy and continue to work towards delivering the maximum results in your ROI.
6. Beef Up Your IGTV Strategy
A final alternative for how to post a link on Instagram is to use your IGTV to add links to your Instagram campaign.
IGTV is a really popular feature on the platform as well, and you’ll not only enhance your overall content strategy by using it, but you can also use it to point to your links on Instagram.
You can create content that is about whatever relevant topics you see fit, and will also exist in the separate IGTV platform that Instagram has provided.
Unlike your Instagram stories or regular Instagram posts, you can include clickable links in your IGTV content. You’ll simply need to click on the title of the video to see the link in the description.
You can easily use a call-to-action to alert people that the link is there and drive people towards it.
In addition, you can add the link to your IGTV video in your Instagram stories, which will enable the swipe up feature, and that works for any user; you don’t have to meet the same requirements as you do for the swipe up feature for an external link.
You can link your story to your IGTV video link using the same chain feature, which means that you’ll direct people to your IGTV page, and then they can tap the link that you included in your IGTV caption, getting them to the desired website.
Final Thoughts: How to Post a Link on Instagram
At first glance, it may seem a bit confusing on how to post a link on Instagram, but it’s really not that tough, and there are plenty of options to make sure you have an Instagram strategy that delivers results and increases your ROI.
Are you looking to drive your reach and continue to get more people checking out your Instagram content?
Growthsilo can help! Let us boost your reach, engagement, and follower count through organic Instagram growth today.